Environmental sustainability is a growing challenge for the real estate sector in India.
Environmental sustainability is a growing challenge for the real estate sector in India. On one hand, in the quest to achieve development in India, real estate and construction sector should be propelled in the right direction, on the other, the rising green house emission also needs to be checked.The buildings consume 40 per cent of the world's energy and are responsible for 50 percent of all greenhouse emissions. India specific data is more discouraging. Currently, 2/3rd of India needs buildings, shelters, ofﬁce blocks etc for the next 20 years.Thus, despite the efforts by the government, public sector. private sector and civil society towards environmental sustainability, the greenhouse emission levels are poised to rise,
The main objective to achieve environmental sustainability is to reduce the carbon footprint in the real estate sector. However, there are some critical issues in the sector which need immediate attention.These issues are speciﬁcally related to construction material, consumption of energy, use of glasses in buildings. Hence, developers must pay attention on the following:
- Appropriate selection of construction material
- Emphasis on natural lighting
- Building orientation and landscape, and
- Promoting usage of Alternate Energy
Paharpur Bus us Center 5 (PBC) measures towards strengthening the pillars of environmental sustain ability
|Energy Management||Water Management||Waste Management||Maintaining indoor air quality|
|Light coloured tiles on the roof light, reflecting paints and cool wall paints are use to reduce the heat again||Collection and harvesting of rainwater from rooftop||Plastic bottles are re-used to grow plants||IAQ maintained as per ASHRAI and WHO Standards|
|White mesh and green reﬂective ﬁlms are used to block direct sunlight||Installation of waterless urinals and sensor taps in washrooms||Waste segregation is followed||ASHRAE recommends 20 CFM air per person but PBC maintains 4.7 CFM pp of fresh air load on system|
Major achievements of PBC
- Reduce the sanctioned MDI from 735 kVA in the energy sector
- Saved 19,25,650 liters of water
- Improved the indoor air quality by having more oxygenated air and that resulted In energy savings of 30%
- There should be appropriate selection of construction material.
- Emphasis on using more natural light should be made.
- Usage of Alternate Energy' should be promoted.
- Water Harvesting should be made compulsory, and
- Water should be recycled as much as possible.